My Experiences Within Motherhood, & my Attempts to Maintain a Personal Life Outside of It.

My experiences within motherhood and my attempt to maintain a personal life outside of it.
...Here I record my own self discipline: My commitment not to "let myself go". My promise to seek my God and follow my passions.
My attempt to do so despite and amidst the chaos of chasing around my high-energy kids while learning the French culture...

Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Time of Thankfulness

Seriously?  It's November already?  October ended almost as swiftly as it began, and let's try not to notice that my last legitimate post on this blog was in March!  I think it's time that this blog got a serious face lift, and I could probably use a little creative refreshment as well.

For anyone reading now who has been following my family's journey over the past year, it's been a humdinger!  We are leaving our whole lives behind here in the states and moving to Paris, France, as missionaries with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. (go check out www.HintonsInParis.com!)  I don't need to go into all the hairy details at this time, but let's just say the process has had its stressors.  It came to a climax last week when we sold practically everything and moved out of our precious house in Visalia.  Currently, we are staying with my parents in Sacramento, preparing to move into temporary housing until we move on to Paris.

...But, as I said already, it's November already.  Anyone who knows me well, knows how much I adore the fall.  And I can't let the stress of moving disrupt enjoying the little pleasures in life.  November marks preparation for Thanksgiving, and I would like to start this month off taking note of what I am thankful for.  Especially during a time of stress like this (and I'm sure we all can identify with stressors in life), I need more than ever to be reminded of what I am thankful for.  Let's start this harvest season of thanksgiving off right....

I am thankful for a roof over my head, a comfortable bed to sleep in, food in the refrigerator, and people who love me dearly.

Truly.  These are the types of luxuries that we fail to take notice of each and every day.  We forget that if we have a bed to sleep in and three meals a day, we are among the world's wealthy.  How convicting.  As I am temporarily homeless, I am reminded of the blessing of a roof and a bed... a comfortable bed at that!  My parents home has always been a place of comfort for me with its good smells and cozy furniture and warm decor.  These are things I need more then ever right now to add a little sanity into my life.

People who love me.

Do I even realize the power of that statement?  I have an adoring and supporting husband, who cheers me on, pushes me forward, and dries my tears every single day.  He always makes me feel strong, beautiful and capable of whatever I put my mind to.  In a time and day when so many marriages fail, I am thankful to have my incredible spouse.  I also have two beautiful children who snuggle with me every day, smile at me in the morning, and come to me when they are crying.  They are always reminding me that I am loved.

As I have had to let go of so many things lately, I am finally recognizing that this is all a person really needs.  If I have food, shelter, and people I love surrounding me with Christ in the center, there is little left to fret about.  As everything is rapidly changing, may I keep that in the forefront of my brain during this upcoming holiday season.

Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!
Luke 12:27,28

No comments: