My Experiences Within Motherhood, & my Attempts to Maintain a Personal Life Outside of It.

My experiences within motherhood and my attempt to maintain a personal life outside of it.
...Here I record my own self discipline: My commitment not to "let myself go". My promise to seek my God and follow my passions.
My attempt to do so despite and amidst the chaos of chasing around my high-energy kids while learning the French culture...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Baby Proofing

I know I've mentioned it the last couple of weeks, so I just have to take a moment to put in a plug and mention how much I love these child safety locks.  They're called "Tot Loks" and they're by Safety First. They're a little pricey compared to traditional child locks, but believe me when I say, it is so worth the extra money that you would spend on these locks.  The installation is a little tricky, but once they are in, they are wonderful!  Unlike the traditional push latch, these locks work by magnetically keeping your cabinet door shut.  You have a magnetic "key" (that you of course keep out of reach of little hands) that is used to unlock it.  This method keeps the doors sealed tight, as opposed to coming partially open where little fingers can get pinched.  And the best part is, there is a little lever on the latch that you can use to unlock the cabinet door if you need it for extended use and your cabinet will open like normal. Brilliant, right?


Unfortunately, we had to use the push latch for our drawers, because the magnets don't install properly for these, so it's always a tease for Charity because the drawer comes open about an inch and half.  So she can see what's inside that she wants, but she can't get to it!  Muwahahaha!


But, seriously, if you are getting ready to proof your house from little fingers, or you know someone who has a rascal on the loose, I couldn't recommend this product more highly.  Go out and spend the extra money on the tot loks; they will save your life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it annoying to have to use the key?

-Lauren

Maribeth said...

You know, at first it is a little annoying, but you get used to it, and it becomes normal. It's no more annoying than having release a push latch on the drawer, which we would have been doing anyway. I actually think it's less annoying than that. That's also why I love the function of "turning off" the lock for extended use. It allows the cabinet to open just like normal, whereas once the push latch is installed, you're always stuck with it.