My Experiences Within Motherhood, & my Attempts to Maintain a Personal Life Outside of It.

My experiences within motherhood and my attempt to maintain a personal life outside of it.
...Here I record my own self discipline: My commitment not to "let myself go". My promise to seek my God and follow my passions.
My attempt to do so despite and amidst the chaos of chasing around my high-energy kids while learning the French culture...

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Making the Ordinary Extraordinary: How I stay hydrated in Visalia's 100+ degree summer weather

Okay, this is an "Ordinary to Extraordinary" post you are going to just love! Are you ready for this?
Water.
Yep.  I'm going to make ordinary, every day water into something extraordinary and fabulous.  Didn't think it was possible to do that?  I aim to pleasantly surprise you.  Let's face it, plain old water is pretty boring.  I know "they" say you should drink eight glasses of water a day, but frankly, I have a hard time consuming so much of such a boring beverage.  This amped-up version of H20 at least helps me get closer to that elusive eight glasses.  Not only that, but this is an excellent and healthy way to serve a beverage the next time you have guests.


I originally got this idea from my mother, who is a master at making simple things special, but I have come to find that there are a myriad of varieties that you can make of this water.  And I literally make a pitcher of this several times a week... sometimes just so I can have something refreshing to drink while I'm around the house.  So, I'll start with my favorite version, what I call "Fruit Water".



  • Start with a simple, clear glass pitcher.  You'll want to show this off!
  • Choose from a variety of fruit options.  I always use citrus.  Some of my faves:
    • orange
    • lemon
    • lime
    • strawberries
    • raspberries
    • blackberries
    • kiwi
    • peaches
    • apple
    • grapefruit
  • You can use any or all of these fruits.  Or just try one or two on their own!  Get creative with your own combination.
  • Keep it visual.  Slice the citrus into big discs.  The strawberries are best sliced so that they are in triangle shapes.  Leave things like raspberries and blackberries whole.  
  • Add your water and ice.  
  • I recommend letting the water sit for a little while before serving so that the flavors of the fruit really have a chance to infuse the water.  You may even want to chill it in the fridge for a while.


Now, that's my standard  "Extraordinary Water" recipe.  But check out these other ideas!


cucumber water
herb water

Cucumber gives the water a crisp, fresh taste.  And for herb water, you can use several different types of herbs.  I actually love to add basil to the fruit water when I have it.  You can also use mint or rosemary.  Or what about this for a combo:  Lemon, cucumber, rosemary, and mint!  ...See how limitless your options are for having AMAZING water?!  Who knew water could be so exciting? Maybe you even have your own ideas on how to make your water special. I would love for you to share!

Whatever you do, now you can go and enjoy nature's most life giving source more than you ever have before!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My sis in law makes cucumber mint water. If it's made just right it's awesome. But sometimes the mint can be overwhelming and it can taste more like toothpaste :)