My Experiences Within Motherhood, & my Attempts to Maintain a Personal Life Outside of It.

My experiences within motherhood and my attempt to maintain a personal life outside of it.
...Here I record my own self discipline: My commitment not to "let myself go". My promise to seek my God and follow my passions.
My attempt to do so despite and amidst the chaos of chasing around my high-energy kids while learning the French culture...

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why I Am In Love With Autumn: Reason #3

I realize this may sound a little self-indulgent.... but can you blame me?
...One of the reasons I love the autumn season is because my birthday is part of it.

I have fond memories of many birthday celebrations growing up.  We look forward to our birthdays as children much more than we anticipate them as adults.  Whenever October rolled around, it meant my birthday was coming soon.  It also meant the most awesome festive cupcakes that my mom would make for me to deliver to my classmates.  (Wish I could find you a picture, so you could all see these show-stopping treats!)  They were adorably garnished with candy corns and orange and yellow lollipops on chocolate icing.  Talk about festive!

But in all seriousness, I hope that even as grow into middle age and elderly years, I will always enjoy my birthday as opposed to dreading getting another year older, which seems to be the trendier attitude these days.  Instead, I see it as God's graciousness in getting me through another year and giving me another year of life.
  
This year's birthday was a good one; it was yesterday, and my husband treated me very well by giving me a day without Charity and a day of spending time with him.  We shared a lovely breakfast together, went to the movies, did a little shopping, had some pizza for dinner, and ended it with a pleasant, quiet time at Starbucks before picking Charity up at the end of the day.  A simple day of simple activities, but all things that I never get to enjoy anymore as a full-time mommy.  This, of course, made it extra special.

...So three cheers to getting older and having another excuse to celebrate!  I love autumn!

2 comments:

Felicia said...

Good job John! Glad it was a great time!

Kelsey from The Undomestic Project said...

Maribeth, I love birthdays and celebrating them. It's a perfect reason to Love fall. I missed wishing you a happy birthday yesterday but I am so glad it was so nice!